Universal Credit is a new benefit that is being introduced in stages throughout the UK, to support you if you’re working and on a low income or you’re out of work. You might need to apply for Universal Credit instead of other existing benefits like Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit or Tax Credits etc.

The Money Advice Service website explains what Universal Credit is and how it works. If you are already on Universal Credit or making a new claim or moving to Universal Credit from existing benefits, Money Manager will help you make the most of your money.

The GOV.UK website will tell you all about income-related benefits, tax credits, contribution-based benefits, Council Tax Reduction, Carer’s Allowance, Universal Credit and how your benefits will be affected if you start work or change your working hours. You can also use an independent benefits calculator to find out: 

  • what benefits you could get
  • how to claim
  • how your benefits will be affected if you start work

These are free to use, anonymous, and have replaced the Benefits Adviser service.

Universal Credit and Severe Disability Premium claims

From January 2021 those entitled to the Severe Disability Premium who experience a change in circumstances will be eligible to claim Universal Credit. For more details visit the GOV.UK website.