Cookies and this website

This website uses cookies to give you the best online experience. If you'd like to know more please read our cookie policy

Skip to content

Latest news

Interested in buying a home in Liss, East Hampshire?

Published: Friday 6 April 2018

Would you like to join our movement to build affordable homes in Liss and the surrounding area?

We are a non-profit Community Land Trust whose aim is to build affordable homes for local people in Liss and the surrounding area. Our dream is that people who grew up here will no longer be forced away by high house prices, and people who work here on modest wages would not be forced into a long commute. We have found a plot of land and we are currently negotiating with the landowner. We hope that we will have 30 homes built in a few years.

Our plan is to offer homes for an average of £170,000 (about half of the current market price). These homes will be for local people to use as their main residence. When residents move out they will be obliged to sell to a local person for the same price, adjusted for inflation and state of repair. So the homes will remain affordable for local people forever: boring investments, but great places to live.

Would you like to register an interest with us?

Interested in becoming a resident or being a member and supporting our movement?

Please contact David Harvey on 07799 197345 or email him at

You can alternatively sign up on our website:

Yours Faithfully,

David Harvey (on behalf of the Homes for Living CLT Steering Group)

Rent in Advance and Affordability Assessments

Published: Friday 19 January 2018

Most landlords participating in Hampshire Home Choice require you to pay rent in advance before you move into your new home. Click here for further information.

Landlords will also carry out pre-tenancy checks prior to offering you a property; these checks include an affordability assessment. Landlords will refuse to offer you a property if they feel you cannot reasonably afford the property.

When thinking about your finances remember:

  • You may have to pay up to one month's rent in advance.
  • You may need to give notice to your current landlord which means you may have to pay rent on two properties at the same time. You will need to check with your landlord how much notice you have to give.
  • You will have to pay for Council Tax, gas, electric, water, TV Licence, household contents insurance, travelling costs and other expenditure such as food and clothes.
  • You will also have to pay for the costs of moving.
  • You will have to budget for your new home.
  • Check if you are entitled to any welfare benefits.

Start Saving Now

If you are planning to move, try to have some savings to help with the costs of moving. If you move into a property you can't afford, you could run into financial problems. For example, you could be evicted if you don't pay your rent.

Universal Credit

Published: Tuesday 11 April 2017
Universal Credit

Universal Credit is a new benefit that is being introduced in stages throughout the UK, to support you if you’re working and on a low income or you’re out of work. You might need to apply for Universal Credit instead of other existing benefits like Jobseeker's Allowance, Housing Benefit or Tax Credits etc.

Visit the Money Advice Service website for information about Universal Credit.

You can also visit the GOV.UK website for an introduction to Universal Credit.  

Are you ready to Move?

Published: Tuesday 20 December 2016
Are you ready to Move?

Click here for help with checking if you can afford to move. Before you bid for properties, you need to make sure that you can afford to pay the rent, rent in advance, council tax, utility bills and all the other costs associated with moving.

Click here to read more information to check if you are ready to move.

Help to Buy

Published: Monday 26 September 2016
Help to Buy

Visit the Help to Buy website to find out how you could get on, or move up, the property ladder. Click here for details.